The newborn babies need to adapt to the harsh outside environment when they have lived in the protection of their mother for months. Of course, it would be difficult for them. During the process of adapting, infants may have several problems. One such issue with them is Acid Reflux. So, all the mothers need to know what acid reflux is and how it can be diagnosed and treated.
What is Acid Reflux in Infants?
- Acid reflux is the condition when the contents of the stomach get back into the throat, and it also causes a sour taste in the throat and mouth.
- It is indeed an uncomfortable period for babies when they are not able to eat properly.
- It also leads them into an irritated mood, and they might not gain weight also. It may also make you very concerned because, through the symptoms, it seems like a serious condition.
- But it is not that serious. Understanding the problem and also giving the right treatment will help you in solving the issue.
Here, we will be discussing everything important related to acid reflux in babies. So, read further to know more.
Causes of Acid Reflux
- In our esophagus, a valve is present, which gets controlled by a ring of muscles. As the baby is very young and his or her muscles are still in the developing stage.
- So, these muscles are not able to work efficiently.
- So, as a result of this, when your baby eats well, the food or milk may get its way back to the throat.
- It will cause discomfort also to the baby.
- This issue is very common among babies, and they eventually get better when they turn about a year old.
- Another reason for acid reflux in babies may also be their slower digestion.
- In such cases, if the baby’s food remains inside for a longer time, it causes some allergy and thus acid reflux.
Symptoms of Acid Reflux in Babies
If you also wonder thatHow do I know if my baby has reflux?Then, we have listed some major symptoms of acid reflux in babies, which you may consider knowing about the same. These symptoms are:
- Projectile Vomiting or a kind of forceful spit up, babies also cry after this as this is a painful spit-up.
- Your babymay not eat well in acid reflux. The reason for this is the pain experienced by them while swallowing during acid reflux.
- Weight loss can also be a symptom of acid reflux or GERD. Infants who vomit more often are more likely to lose weight.
- Babies may alsoarch their bodies abnormally when you feed them. It happens because they experience a burning sensation due to acid reflux.
- If your baby is suffering from acid reflux, they may have difficultysleeping because of their abdomen’s pain and burning sensation.
How to Treat Acid Reflux in Babies?
If your baby is feeling extremely uncomfortable from acid reflux, then it is high time you should look for some remedies for treating the problem well. Thus, to get back the comfort of your baby and make them feel healthy, you can go with any of the following remedies:
#1. How You Feed Your Baby?
Generally, babies who are fed with the bottle have lesser chances of getting acid reflux. The reason for this is their adaptability to encounter foreign particles through the bottle. Hence, their digestion becomes stronger. At the same time, the babies who are fed by breasts are highly susceptible to acid reflux.
#2. Reduce the Feeding Episodes of Your Baby
If your child breastfeeds, you should reduce your time nursing or feeding him/her. The reason for this is a full stomach of a baby, when overfed, may lead to more problematic digestion, causing acid reflux. In this case, your baby may spit more often as overfeeding causes some pressure on the lower esophageal sphincter. When we give our baby food more than the capacity, then the applied pressure on this sphincter cause issues and make the stomach contents come up to the esophagus.
#3. Nipple Size or Czech Bottle
Use just the right size of nipple and bottle for your baby. With a small-sized nipple, your baby may gulp air along with the milk. While with a nipple of larger size, the extra milk flow will cause problems like acid reflux. So, choosing the right size only is a better option indeed. This way, the amount of milk entering into the esophagus will be regulated, which will help properly swallow. It will also make digestion easier and regulated. Thus, there will occur no acid reflux.
#4. Make them Burp Frequently
Avoid feeding your baby at least 2 hours before bedtime, whether you bottle feed or breastfeed them. It will help in making the digestion of babies better. Also, make sure you help your baby and make him/her burp every time you feed him/her. It will also help the baby has proper digestion. Burping also helps in having relief from gastric pressure, thus will also prevent frequent acid reflux.
#5. Change the Infant’s Position
Though it is recommended that babies lie on their backs while sleeping, it also prevents many problems. But, such a position of babies may obstruct the airway for them and cause acid reflux. So, you can make your baby sleep on the side or stomach and if you find any problem with this, consult your doctor.
If you make your baby sleep on his/her stomach and head turned to one side, their mouth and nose will not get any obstruction. Also, ensure you keep your baby’s head elevated at least a little. It will help in letting the gravity work, and the upcoming stomach contents may get down into the stomach back.
Is acid reflux painful for babies?
Generally, acid reflux is not very painful for babies. The condition gradually gets better when they grow older than one year. This condition is serious very rarely. Sometimes, babies can have pain in swallowing the food during acid reflux, but it is not the common case.
Are hiccups a sign of Acid Reflux in Babies?
However, hiccups are normal to occur in babies. But the infants who have complaints of acid reflux have a lot of hiccups. The reason for hiccups may be the extra accumulated air in their stomach and acid reflux.
To Sum Up
We have seen the signs, treatments and causes of acid reflux in infants. However, the condition is very common among infants and is not at all a serious issue of your concern. It gets better itself with time when the baby’s muscles grow gradually. You can make your baby better by following the given remedies.
Even after following these, the baby does not feel better. In this case, you should consult a doctor and ask about the same.