Experiencing abdominal bloating and back pain together can be a frightening and terrifying experience. However, the causes of abdominal bloating and back pain are quite simple, but still, you need to know, understand and treat the cause of this condition.
Here we will discuss the causes, symptoms, and possible treatments for abdominal bloating and back pain.
Though these symptoms are very common and do not generally indicate any serious underlying condition, they should be treated if the condition persists for a longer time. In that case, you need to see a physician and consult about the same. It is important because, rarely, the condition causes due to severe and life-threatening issues.
Causes of Abdominal Bloating and Back Pain
Most people have a question that why is my stomach bloated and my back is hurting? To answer this question, we need to look at the possible causes of abdominal bloating and back pain. The severity, type, and intensity of pain may vary from person to person. Reasons may include the following:
- Getting your Periods: Menstruation occurs when your uterus sheds its blood-filled lining every month. It may give you cramps, pain, and discomfort during this time. However, the condition is quite normal. But if you have such issues more often and without periods too, you should ask your doctor.
- PMS (Pre-Menstrual Syndrome): It is a condition women experience before their periods every month. The health, emotions, and behavior get affected during PMS. It can also be a cause of such pain and bloating.
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy can also be a cause of abdominal bloating and back pain. A positive condition can never be there without ailments. So, if you are pregnant, you have chances to experience bloating or back pan.
- Gallstones: Gall bladder is a small organ whose primary function is to store bile juice (A secretion by the liver to work as a digestive fluid). Hard deposits or stones in the gall bladder may also cause abdominal pain and bloating. Most people do not understand the cause of abdominal bloating and back pain. So, you should be aware of what is happening inside your body.
- IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome): It is a condition that occurs with many symptoms altogether and is a common issue. Many people need to seek medical assistance to treat this condition.
- Kidney Stones: Hard deposits or stones in any or both kidneys can cause bloating and back pain. Stones can develop anywhere along the urinary tract.
- Gas and Gastrointestinal Issues: This condition may cause intense pain and bloat. It makes your abdomen feel full as well as tender.
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI): It may also lead to back pain. This infection could be in any part of your urinary tract. The causing agent of this infection is bacteria. Go to the loo as soon as you feel the urge. Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water in a day to manage the condition. Also, see your doctor for further assistance.
- Ovarian Cysts: It can also cause bloating and back pain. Every woman develops at least one cyst in their ovary in their lifetime. A cyst is a sac that is filled with fluid. The cyst can develop in different forms like follicle cysts, dermoid cysts, or corpus luteum cysts. Make sure you get proper medical help if you experience this condition.
- Celiac Disease: People who have abnormal immune gluten reactions may experience this disease. It is a type of digestive disorder. It can cause bloating and back pain. To manage and treat the condition, you should lower down the consumption of gluten-rich foods like rye, wheat, spelt, barley, durum, etc.
- Ovarian Cancer: It can occur in any part of the ovary and cause abdominal bloating and back pain.
- Fibromyalgia: It is a chronic and long-term disorder. This condition may associate with muscular pain and pain in bones also. General fatigue and tenderness can also come with this condition.
- Endometriosis: It may also be a cause of abdominal bloating and back pain. The intensity of this syndrome may vary from person to person.
Treatment for Abdominal Bloating and Back Pain
In general cases, back pain and abdominal bloating will disappear. However, you have some tips also by using which you can get relief from this condition.
First, we will discuss tips to get rid of bloating. These are:
- Drink a lot of water.
- You can take over-the-counter medications for reducing gas, acidity, and digestive enzymes.
- Consume lesser carbonated drinks and reduce straw usage.
- Avoid consuming high carb foods or foods which cause gas. Avoid dairy products, dried beans to avoid gas.
For Back Pain
The tips which can help you get rid of back pain are:
- To get relief from back pain, you can use a hot and cold compress for 10 minutes, on and off.
- Do not lift heavy objects and take proper rest.
- Getting a massage can also give relief to back pain, and thus, you may get rid of bloating.
- Get enough exercise to keep your back working and moving. Also, sit in only the correct posture.
- You can also take OTC medications like Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen to get pain relief. Make sure you use these medications to limit only, as these can harm too.
Can Stomach Problems Cause Back Pain?
Yes, as we have talked about in the causes that Gastrointestinal (GI) issues can cause abdominal bloating and back pain. It can make your abdomen feel fuller for a longer time and cause intense pain in the back.
Both these conditions are quite common in people. But getting both at the same time makes it feel like hell. When you know the causes and what you can do to treat these, it will become easier for you.
But if your pain and bloating is getting too hard to manage, then you should immediately consult a physician.