Some people think,why am I always tired and have no energy. This condition may point towards Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).
CFS is considered a long-term sickness that gives a number of various symptoms in the sufferer’s body. The symptom most commonly seen in people is tiredness at its peak.
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is now known as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) also.
- So, this condition is referred to as CFS/ME.
- This condition can happen to anyone. But it is very common in women than in men. CFS/ME may develop in your mid-20s to mid-40s.
There are many possible causes of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)which we will be discussing in this article.
Feeling unwell in general or feeling extremely tired on a regular basis is the most common and main symptom of this illness. In addition to this, people who have CFS/ME may experience other symptoms too. These may include:
- Sleeping problems with unrefreshing sleep
- Joint or muscular pain
- Problems related to concentration, thinking and remembering anything.
- Flu-like symptoms
- Sore throat or sore glands which are not swollen
- Feeling sick and dizzy
- Irregular or fast heartbeats
- Enlarged lymph nodes in the neck area and armpits
Most of the people suffering from CFS/ME find that their symptoms worsen after exercising. The intensity of symptoms may vary every day or within a day too.
As the symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome(CFS) are very similar to those of any other type of illness, it becomes very hard to know about CFS. So, consult a doctor about your symptoms to get a needed diagnosis.
Not a single particular test is there for diagnosing CFS/ME. So, doctors conclude you have this condition by observing your symptoms and other conditions which may have caused those symptoms. Doctors ask about the symptoms you are having as well as your medical history. They may also ask you to have urine tests and blood tests.
Doctors give treatment to you, aiming for providing relief to your symptoms. Treatment is based on the way symptoms are affecting you. Treatment methods may include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): A psychotherapy technique in which they alter the pattern of negative thoughts about self as well as the world. That helps in treating unwanted behavioral patterns and mood disorders.
- Graded Exercise Therapy (GET): It uses physical activities to addressChronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- Medications: Medications are provided to the sufferer so that the pain, sleeping problems, and nausea gets under control.
- People with CFS generally get better with time, while others may not get recovered completely.
- Children, as well as young people, have more chances to recover from this illness completely.
- There are times when your symptoms may get better or get worse.
- So, we can say that symptoms do not remain constant.
Factors Causing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
There is no confirmedcause of this Syndrome (CFS), but some theories explain it. For example, CFS/ME may be caused by an infection or some other factors too. Some possible triggers orcauses are:
#1. Viral Infections like a Glandular Fever
Some people have Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) after suffering from any viral infection. That means that certain viruses may also trigger this condition in people. No conclusion has been found yet.
#2. Immune System Problems
The immune system of people facing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CHS/ME) is generally found slightly impaired. So, researchers assume this to be a causing agent for CHS. But it is not clear if a slight immune impairment can cause CHS or not.
#3. Hormonal Imbalance
People having this illness also have abnormal hormonal levels produced by the hypothalamus, adrenal glands and pituitary glands. It is also not known if these abnormalities are significant to cause Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or not.
#4. Emotional or Physical Trauma
Many people give evidence for the injury, emotional stress, trauma they faced just before their symptoms started showing. So, it can also be a cause of the illness.
Risk factors of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CHS/ME)
Factors that may aid in increasing the risk of this syndrome are:
- Age: It can happen at any age. But if you are in your young to middle age, then you are at comparatively higher risk.
- Sex: Women are more exposed to experience thesymptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Complications Related to (CCHS/ME)
Complications Related to (CCHS/ME)– H2 People who have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome may have the following complications:
- Social Isolation
- Higher work absences
- Lifestyle obstructions
What are the 3 Types of Fatigue?
The three types of fatigue are as follows:
- Transient Fatigue: It is acute fatigue. It occurs if you stay awake for a longer time, like for 1 or 2 days straight. It means that this type of fatigue occurs from extreme sleep restriction.
- Cumulative Fatigue: It occurs because of mild sleep restriction if repeated or can also occur by extended hours awake through a few days.
- Circadian Fatigue: This condition reduces the performance of the sufferer during night time.
What Vitamins do you lack in if you are always tired?
Being tired every time may also indicate vitamin deficiency in your body. These vitamins include Vitamin D, Iron, Vitamin B-12, Potassium and Magnesium. You can go for a blood test to know about these deficiencies. If deficiencies are found, then get it treated accordingly.
Lifestyle changes to treat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
Some minor lifestyle changes may help you treat this illness. These may include:
- Lower or eliminate the caffeine intake. It will help you in sleeping properly and eliminating your insomnia.
- Do not nap during day time.
- Go to bed daily at the same time and in the same way, wake up at the same time daily.
The Bottom Line
Feeling tired is very normal among us, but inCFS,sufferers do not even feel fresh and better after sleeping and rest. At the same time, normal people feel all good after resting. There are severalb,which we have discussed. However, none of them is significant and trustable. But they can be one of the reasons for your illness.
Try maintaining a healthy lifestyle, a better sleep cycle and push yourself a step further in the direction of treating yourself.