Air vibrations in the upper respiratory tract cause snoring in people. There are a number of home remedies for snoring, but finding which one would work for you is challenging. Snoring does not point towards any serious problem. However, if you make some changes in your lifestyle and sleeping patterns, you may reduce or eliminate snoring.
Here are some lifestyle changes which will help you in getting rid of snoring.
- Lose Weight: People who are overweight are more likely to snore on a regular basis. Poor muscle tone and fatty tissues, especially around your throat, worsen snoring. Have a calorie-deficit diet, healthy food, and regular workout sessions. These will help you to eliminate snoring.
- Sleeping on One Side: If you sleep on your back, you are more likely to snore. The reason for this is sleeping on the back makes the tongue move back to the throat. This aids in harder breathing and thus cause snoring vibrations. And, if you sleep on your side, air will flow smoothly, and there will be no vibrations. That may stop the snores or will make them quieter.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking cause obstructions in the airways and makes breathing heavy. So, a person who smokes will snore more likely. Quitting smoking can gradually help you in eliminating snoring.
- Avoid Alcohol: Consumption of alcohol relaxes your throat muscles. In the relaxed state, these muscles may vibrate more than usual. So, alcohol also induces snoring in people. Limiting or avoiding alcohol will help you in getting rid of snoring.
- Avoid Taking Sleeping Pills: Sleeping pills or any other sedatives can induce very deep sleep. Also, they have a relaxing effect on our body muscles, especially on the throat muscles. Hence, cause snoring.
- Keep your Head Elevated: Use additional pillows to keep your head elevated while sleeping. Sleeping like this will open the airways and may prevent snoring completely.
Home Remedies to Eliminate Snoring
Snoring is a common problem among both men and women. The extremely annoying sound of snoring may affect you and your partner sleeping with you too. There are many products available to treat snoring, but none of them can be considered 100% effective. We have already talked about the lifestyle changes we can make. Now it is the turn to know about home remedies for snoring.
Peppermint has anti-inflammatory properties. Due to which it aids in reducing the swelling of throat and nostrils membranes which in turn promotes smooth and easier breathing while sleeping. It works effectively for temporary snoring caused by cold, allergy, or dry air. You can use peppermint oil by making a gargle with it. Use it before going to bed. Make sure you do not swallow the peppermint oil plus water solution.
#2. Olive Oil
Olive oil acts as a nice anti-inflammatory agent. Olive oil reduces inflammation all along the respiratory system. It will also reduce soreness in the throat and will make breathing easy. You can consume 2 to 3 sips of olive oil daily before sleeping. When you consume olive oil daily, it will reduce your snores.
Nasal congestion is a major reason for snoring. And, to treat this congestion, inhaling steam is the best option indeed. Take a bowl of hot water with a few drops of tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil, cover your head with a towel and then inhale from this hot water bowl for at least 10 minutes. Repeat this solution daily before going to bed.
#4. Clarified Butter
It is also known as Ghee in India. Ghee has some significant medicinal properties which can open your blocked nasal passages. This way, it will help your snores. You can use clarified butter by melting it and putting 2 to 3 drops in each nostril. Attempt this solution daily before going to bed.
Cardamom is a decongestant agent and expectorant. So, it helps in opening the blocked nasal passages. Open and clear nasal passages will decrease snoring. Take half a teaspoon of cardamom powder and add it to one glass of warm water. Drink this half an hour before you sleep. Consume daily to reduce your snoring gradually.
As turmeric is a nice anti-biotic and antiseptic agent, it helps in reducing inflammations. Reduced inflammation, in turn, will give you relief from heavy snoring. You can use this remedy by adding turmeric to warm milk. This drink will make your breath smooth. It also aids in boosting the immune system. Take two teaspoons of turmeric in ne glass of warm milk. Drink it half an hour before sleeping. Take this drink routinely to decrease snoring.
Garlic aids in giving relief from the mucus, which gets build in nasal passages. Also, it gives relief from inflammation. So, if the reason for your snoring is sinus blockage, then garlic will help you in reducing snores. Directly, chew two cloves of garlic and after that, drink a glass of water. Consume it before sleeping, and you will get substantial relief in snoring. It will also promote sound sleep.
Honey has anti-inflammatory properties which will reduce the swelling in your throat, which may obstruct airways. Also, lubricating your throat with honey will reduce snoring vibrations. Take on one glass of water with one tablespoon of honey in it just before sleeping.
To Sum Up
Snoring may disrupt your and your partner’s sleep. But other than being annoying, it may also indicate some serious inflammation or nasal blockage. If you do not get relief from the above home remedies for snoring, then see a doctor. There may be some other conditions also. So, make sure you land on the correct remedy or treatment for you.